The Department of Veterans Affairs Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) accepts applications for the FY2023 (October 2022–September 2023). The program offers scholarships to students enrolled (or assumed to enroll) in a U.S.-based doctoral program in psychology and to students in several other health care training programs, including nursing and social work.
The Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) provides financial assistance to students receiving education or training in a direct or indirect health-care services discipline (Title 38 and Hybrid Title 38 occupations); and assists in providing an adequate supply of such personnel for the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
HPSP helps the Veterans Health Administration (VHA) meet its need for qualified health care professionals for which recruitment or retention is difficult.
About HPSP Army Scholarships
The scholarship, established more than 40 years ago, have assisted thousands of deserving service workers in pursuing higher education.
Depending on the chosen branch, the scholarships change a little.
Future and current medical school students can apply for two-, three-, and four-year military scholarships through the Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP).
The HPSP comprises a signing incentive and pays for the tuition and fees for civilian medical schools and a monthly living allowance.
Prospective students compete for scholarships covering some or all of their medical school years. The Army, Air Force, and Navy offer one- to four-year scholarships, but the Army only grants one- to four-year scholarships.
When a student receives financial aid, the sponsoring organization covers their tuition, certain academic costs, a monthly stipend, required textbooks and equipment, and laptop rental.
Areas Of Study For The Health Professions Scholarship Program
In FY2022 (October 2021 – September 2022), Health Professions Scholarship Program will offer scholarships in the following areas:
- Nursing (LPN, ADN, BSN, and MSN)
- Physician Assistant (PA)
- Physician Scholarship (MD/DO)
- Medical Technologist (MT)
- Nurse Practitioner (NP) Mental Health
- Diagnostic Radiologic Technologist (DRT)
- Social Worker (MSW)
- Psychologist (Doctoral Degree)
NB: HPSP scholarships awarded to Physician Assistants (PA) trainees will only be awarded to Physician Assistant (PA) trainees who have veteran status.
HPSP Scholarship Air Force
Students from many facets of the health system are also eligible for this award. Depending on the area of healthcare you wish to study, this curriculum is varied.
Any of the thre programs you are applying to will need you to commit to postgraduate service. After finishing your professional program, you will be awarded, lieutenant or captain.
Clinical psychology interns and residents admitted to a military or civilian hospital while enrolled in their training program may be called to active duty. The student borrows money for their program each year, and they are required to serve for a full year.
HPSP Scholarship Requirements
- Eligible applicants must be enrolled in, or accepted for, an academic program in the United States that prepares graduates to meet the VA qualification standards for employment in the occupations listed above.
- Applicants must be citizens of the United States and pass a background investigation.
HPSP Scholarship Covered Expenses
Below are what the Health Professions Scholarship Program will cover:
- Full-time students:
- Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment.
- 4 years to complete education
- Part-time students (current VA employees only):
- Tuition, authorized required fees, stipend, and annual education expense payment (Award amounts are based on a ratio of full-time attendance)
- 6 years to complete education
HPSP Scholarship Service Obligation
- Upon completing their educational program and licensure/certification, participants work as permanent, full-time VA employees in the occupations for which the scholarship was awarded.
- Participant service obligation: Full-time student – 2 to 4.5 years; Part-time student – 1 to 3 years
- Service obligation will vary depending on occupation and length of support.
- Physician – 18-month service obligation for each year of support.
- Participants sign a Mobility Agreement to relocate at their own expense if required to fulfill their service obligation.
How To Apply For HPSP Scholarship
Health Professions Scholarship Portal is open year-round. Note that all applications will be evaluated, and selections made throughout the scholarship cycle. Interested applicants should visit HPSP’s official website here to apply or visit here to learn more about the HPSP Army scholarship.
And if you have questions concerning the scholarship, you can contact them at HPSPTeam@va.gov