The Niels Henrik Abel Board and the International Mathematical Union invite mathematicians in developing countries to visit an international research collaborator for one month.
- April 30, 2022, for visits between September 1 and December 31, 2022
- August 31, 2022, for stays between January 1 and April 30, 2023
Offered annually? Yes
Eligible Countries: Developing Countries
About Abel Visiting Scholar Program
The Award is designed for postdoctoral mathematicians in the early stages of their professional careers. It is designed to offer the opportunity for a ‘research sabbatical,’ a necessary complement to teaching and other academic duties for mathematicians desiring also to sustain a viable research program.
Eligibility: Applicants must
1. hold at the time of application a Ph.D. in Mathematics,
2. be based in a developing country at the time of application
3. hold a position in a university/ research institution
4. be in the early stages of their professional careers, more precisely: the applicants should
4. 1) not yet be of full professorial rank but have a working contract in a university/ college
4. 2) be under 40 years of age on the day of the application deadline.
NB: The maximum age may be increased by up to three years in the case of an individual with a broken career pattern. This should be noted in the application and the reason for the broken career pattern.
Applications from women mathematicians are strongly encouraged.
Selection Criteria: The selection criteria are based on the project’s quality and the benefit/added value for the home institution/country.
Selection: A selection committee decides which applications are successful.
The Selection Committee consists of
- a) a member is chosen by the Abel board
- b) a member is chosen by CDC
- c) a third member chosen by the IMU EC
The time of members of the committee is three years for the members b) and c) with a maximum of two periods. The Abel Board decides for a).
Number of Awardees: Not specified
Value of Scholarship: The grant can cover for one month and only for the applicant:
- Travel costs to the host institution (economy flight or equivalent)
- accommodation expenses (monthly rent should not exceed 1,200 USD – in case you expect higher accommodation cost, please explain in your application the expected higher cost)
- travel health insurance
- Basic living cost (daily allowance based on living cost of the visiting country/city, This amount includes the cost for public transport and all other living costs).
- visa costs
NB: Please note that the flight will be booked and directly paid for by the IMU Secretariat.
The total maximum amount is 5,000 USD per grantee. Family expenses and any other costs cannot be covered.
How To Apply For Abel Visiting Scholar Program
Each application must include:
- The completed Online Application Form
- A curriculum vitae of applicant and host, including a list of recent publications (max. 3 pages each)
- A research plan for the visit
- An official invitation from the institution of the international research partner
- One letter of recommendation If the letter of recommendation is not written by the international research partner (the host), the application should include a statement approving the research plan.
- A copy of the Ph.D. certificate
- Your employer signed and stamped a statement about the current employment status/ position in the home institution. The statement should include the duration of your employment. Please use the template attached.
- A budget estimation. Please, use the Tentative Budget Form. (for more information, see ‘Financial Support’)
- A picture of you for our website (upload separately to the Online Application Form) (The image will be published on our website (like this: https://www.mathunion.org/cdc/grants/research-travel-grants/abel-visiting-scholar-program/abel-visiting-scholar-2018) if the applicant is chosen, so PLEASE upload a NICE photo in good quality!)
- If you are planning to stay for more than one month, you must attach proof of the matching funds for your living costs from the host institution.
Please merge all required documents (except your picture) into one (1) PDF file and upload it in the Online Application Form.
If your application is NOT completed by the deadline, it CAN NOT be considered for evaluation. Please send your application at least two weeks in advance so it can be checked.
For more details, visit the Abel Visiting Scholar Program portal HERE.